Monday, June 25, 2007

Pursuit of Happyness

My younger bro, Henry, is so sweet as to help me rent this DVD from Music Junction!! Thx to him, i got to have more ...sort of..emotional sensory..when i watched this again.

Alot of people were impacted by the movie, and i did watch it, together with ...i can only remember KL, Pin, Yunfran, Lin, James, and i think there is Cyn, WeiJie and MJ.
I remembered that they made a big "huha" after watching the movie(wanting to buy the book, buy the DVD,etc), while i was quite indifferent to it. Why? i dunno...

It was only after watching the movie again on sunday, that i realised that..hmm..actually i was watching the movie and majority of the time, i was thinking in the position of Chris Jr. I was thinking..."I have been through what he's been thr, except for having no place to stay in(quite serious enough,haha~)..."

My family is poor since i was young. I didn't know humans, have 3 meals per day. We only have 1 meal per day, and that's during dinner time. We always have a large plate(=3 bowls of rice) for a meal, and most of the time, we were having only a single dish. We alternate between my Top 3 most hated food "Fishballs, Canned buttoned mushrooms, and a scary Soup dish..猪肚/肠汤 Pig organs soup..."

Although having meals at home can be a torture when 1 of these 3 dishes appears on the tabletop, lifes been good. My father is the only sole breadwinner and mum's the housewife. Plus I've got 4 siblings to accompany me! We always know how to self-entertain ourselves when we were young. We were spiritually happy, we dun have much money but we never worried much abt it, because we always get Edusave bursaries to finance our studies. My parents were proud of us for that.

While watching the movie for this second time, i began to look into how my dad supported us..He was the only one earning money, and he never lets the children know how much he suffered outside.. last time I used to think,"Wah!!! Driving taxi can earn enough to support 7 mouths ah!! quite good ah!"

One part which impacted me was, Chris Gardner's "no-complain" attitude. He didn't choose to complain abt having no money, having discriminated and bullied by his supervisor because he's the only Black during internship, having no accomodations when he was thrown out of his rented hse, he choose to move on and be forward-looking. When we complain, we become a living, breathing "crap magnet".

Chris Gardner looks at his targets and focuses on it, like when he was hit by a car when he was chasing after his bone-density scanning machine. He was hit, but he knew that he has to go back to Dean Witter for his broker classes. He needs to pass the internship and make money for his family.

That's my dad, too, partially. He never complains to us about what's he been through, except to my mum. haha~*poor mum. All he wants is to pursuit family happiness. The real NEED to succeed. His never-dying perservance, and never-stops until he reaches the stage...
"This part of life... this part right here? This is called "Happyness"..